Is there anything more Instagram-able and basic than the famed acai bowl? I think not, my friends! According to HuffPo, acai bowls are “The World’s Best Breakfast” and for good reason. Originally derived from the Brazilian dish, Açaí na tigela, the breakfast bowl has come full force to America, with its aesthetic appeal and nutritional superiority gaining new fans every day. For those that have never heard of açaí before (pronounced ah-sa-EE), it is a berry from the açaí palm trees native to the South American rain forests. The properties of this acclaimed superfood include antioxidants, fiber, and heart-healthy fats. Although there isn’t enough research on this berry, some say it can help in losing weight, improving skin appearance, and detoxify the body. According to Mayo Clinic, açaí is relatively safe to consume if you’re not allergic to it.
As customizable and photogenic the acai breakfast bowls are, they are quite expensive. Average prices for a bowl range from $8-$13 depending on the location. In California, higher prices are seen in big cities like San Francisco and Los Angeles. A new juice bar, Nekter, just opened in my hometown and one bowl retails for $8.25. My point is that going out to buy a bowl is expensive and there is a much cheaper alternative that can yield the same or even better results than store bought!
With the endless amount of resources on the Internet, looking for one easy recipe can be intimidating. But have no fear my friends, luckily the basic recipe is super easy and takes around 10 minutes to do. Here it is:
BRAIDOLOGIE’S Simple Acai Bowl Recipe
Prep time: 2-5 minutes Cook time: 1-3 minutes
- 1 frozen Trader Joe’s Acai puree packet
- 2 bananas (1 to go into the smoothie, the other to be used as a garnish)
- Splash of milk OR juice (of your choosing)
- Optional add-ons/substitutions
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 tsp barley powder
- ¼ cup protein powder
- Other fruits/vegetables
- Optional Toppings (a.k.a what gives the bowl its essence 😉)
- Chia seeds
- Berries, sliced colorful fruit (bananas, pineapple, mango, etc)
- Dried coconut flakes
- Prep the blender
- Run the frozen acai packet under warm water until you are able to break into smaller pieces
- Open acai packet and squeeze into the blender
- Slice banana into pieces and add to blender
- Add all the other ingredients your heart desires!
- Close blender with the cover, plug it in, and start blending
- Blend until the acai mixture is the consistency you want it at
- For a thicker smoothie, add less liquid
- Once blended, pour smoothie into bowl or a glass (bonus point if you have a mason jar HAHA)
- Style the bowl with whatever toppings you want!
- Take a pic for the Snap and/or IG, commemorate this joyful occasion of DIY-ing
- Eat the darn bowl and ENJOY 😊
That is it folks! There you have it, a 10 minute process to make an IG worthy Acai bowl but at a fraction of the store bought price! A bowl that you could have bought for $12 just now became $12 worth of acai bowl ingredients good enough for a week or two! You’re welcome.
Until next time!